Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Another Baby



Well, I had a pretty interesting weekend. First though, I've been really dreadfully sick with some kind of cold for about a week, still not over it yet. So on Saturday night I noticed on of my Boers starting early labor, and she was not due until March 15th. I kept checking on her up until about 1:00 in the morning and then finally went to bed because I was not feeling well at all. I woke up at about 6:30 to my Dad saying that she had just given birth to a dead kid. :( I rushed out of bed and headed up to the barn. Oh my, it was horrible, the kid had most likely been dead for several days, (that explains why she went into labor early) and it was just so gross. You couldn't even hardly tell that it was a goat. :( The Mom wasn't doing so well though, she seemed really weak and pretty much worn out. And then also I didn't know if there was another kid. So I called my vet and he ended up meeting me at the clinic with the goat at about 8:30, which was very nice of him because he wasn't even the doctor on call. He checked for another kid which thankfully there wasn't. I don't think the doe could have handled the stress of getting it out and would probably have had to have a C-section. He then did a uterine flush to get some of the rotted stuff out and gave her a really strong antibiotic and some other shots. She seems to be doing okay but there is a very high chance of infection since the kid was dead inside of her so it's kind of "iffy" as to whether she will make it or not. :( I really hope she pulls through. It was a really good reminder not to take all those healthy kids for granted though.

The day wasn't quite over yet though. I had another Boer doe start going into labor a few hours after all the above happened. She was taking her time so I ended up taking a REALLY long nap and finally woke up sometime after lunch. By that time she was getting closer and I stayed up at the barn waiting. She finally started pushing and before long had plopped out a big beautiful buck kid! Now this doe was SO huge, she really looked like she could have 3 in there, but you guessed it she just had one. I was just sure there had to be another one but no there wasn't! He is just the cutest little guy! And his mom is so protective of him, it's so funny because he is so rambunctious, and she is just constantly having to follow him around to keep him in her sight. :)


So that was my weekend, not even to mention the tornado weather we had on Sunday night. All we got though was just alot of high winds, rain, and lightening. We were ready though, Dad had the storm shelter cleaned out and Mom and already packed up all her Creative Memories photo albums and stored them safely away down there. :)

6 comments:

Danielle said...

Thanks for posting again Bethany!! I am so sorry to hear about the baby goat though, that would be so sad. :(

Storm shelter, huh?? ;) Can't wait to see it!

Bethany said...

How sad about the baby goat. In our guinea pig's last few litter of babies there were a few dead and it was very sad. Are you still waiting for any more kids?

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the baby goat... :(
But the rest sounds interesting! I like the word "rambunctious".
We've also had bad weather over here, but now it's getting better. Today it's very windy, but very sunny. It always happens the same... as soon as the trees start blooming, we have violent winds. And so we don't have many flowers left... :P
Have a nice day!

Besh said...

Thanks for the comments girls!

Bethany, yes I'm still waiting on 2 more does to kid in about a week and then I just have 1 more in June.

Gem, glad you liked my new word! :) Hopefully I spelled it right. :D I've been meaning to send you a email to see what you've been up to.

Danielle, I think I need to send you some pictures of the storm shelter, no telling what you imagine it to be! :D

The Cole Family said...

Tag, you're it! Read the rules for the game on my blog:

www.polishedcornerstone.blogspot.com

The Cole Family said...

Sorry, I forgot to tell you, I'm Bethany Cole :)

Your goats are so cute! You are very brave.